Speaking at an event organized by Karnataka State Cricket Association here, Binny said that the BCCI has not yet approached the government to travel to Pakistan next year, but ultimately the central government will decide on the matter first.
“It is not BCCI’s call. We need the government’s approval to leave the country. Whether we are leaving the country or teams entering the country, we need clearance.
“Once we get approval from the government, then we go with it. We can’t make decisions on our own. We have to rely on the government. We haven’t approached them yet,” said World Cup winner Binny.
The Asia Cup is scheduled to be played in September next year in Pakistan, ahead of the ODI World Cup in India.
Binny’s comments came after BCCI’s secretary Jay Shah said the Indian team will not travel to Pakistan for the Asia Cup next year and would rather play the tournament at a neutral venue.
Earlier on Thursday, Sports Minister Anurag Thakur said the Indian team would need approval from the home ministry to travel to Pakistan.
A ‘disappointed’ Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Wednesday requested the Asian Cricket Council to convene an emergency meeting.
Referring to Shah’s comment, the PCB said that “such statements could spoil the Asian and international cricket communities” and impact Pakistan’s visit to India for the 2023 World Cup.
India had not traveled to Pakistan since the 2008 Asia Cup, and following the Mumbai terror attack on 26 November that year, the scheduled bilateral series was canceled in early 2009.
Pakistan did travel to India in 2012 for a short six-match white-ball series, but in the last 10 years there has been no bilateral cricket. The two teams have only played each other in several ICC and ACC events.